Friday, February 7, 2014

The Top Ten Books That Will Make You Cry

So normally I would have done this on Tuesday with everyone else but I had something else scheduled for that day. However this feature is still hosted by the ladies of The Broke & The Bookish no matter when I post this.

This week's topic was The Top Ten Books That Will Make You Cry. This post was both easy and hard for me as I cry a lot when I'm reading. So I may or may not be able to keep it to ten books. We shall see. I'll try to keep them in order but no promises.
1.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K.Rowling.
This book destroyed me. I cried so much and so hard that I was essentially hyperventilating on the floor of my (ex) best friend's bedroom floor. I seriously considered sending JKR my therapy bill after this one. I mean...really Jo. Why kill them. Yes I'm being vague for the few people who haven't finished the series yet.Chapters 32 & 33 did serious emotional damage.
2.
The Program (The Program #1) by Suzanne Young
This book had me basically locked in a fetal position for pretty much the entire book. I loved it, I adored it and I repeatedly told people that it was my favorite read of 2013. I pushed this book so many times but also told people to load up on kleenex.
3.
Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens
It's been no secret that I loved this book. I've basically told everyone what an amazingly beautiful and heartbreaking book this is. It's beautifully written and it made me cry so much. To the point of having to catch my breath between the sobs.
4. 
If You Leave (Beautifully Broken #2)
Okay first of all Courtney Cole is a goddess. She knows how to write wonderfully real characters that people can relate to. I loved this story as I could relate so well to Madison and what she experienced as a child. I understood why her childhood experiences made her tentative about love.Watching her realize that she was not going to be her mom and that she deserved love was beautiful and it filled me with a lot of hope.
5. 
Where The Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller
Beautiful book about family and how you can overcome things. That just because you experienced things that no child should ever experience, does not mean you are "tainted" or "dirty" or unlovable. Watching Callie evolve from being fiercely loyal to her mom and suspicious of her dad and stepmom to realizing that her dad wanted only the best for her and her mom wasn't it, was beautiful and at the same time, heart wrenching.
6.
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
There were two parts that I cried over but they were major parts that involved major characters. I remember finishing the book and just being heartbroken at some of the things that happened. It involved killing off my favorite male character (which I STILL haven't forgiven Suzanne for) I am not looking forward to those parts in the book.
7.
Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
This book was more than just another one of those "cancer books" It was a book about loyalty, family and friendship. I remember vividly, finishing my e-ARC of this and just sobbing so hard I was sure I was going to puke. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and gosh just so wonderful.
8.
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
So I cried in this book as did many MANY other people. Yet it was funny too which I didn't expect from a "cancer book" However the last 75 or so pages, I sobbed. It was so heartbreaking and at times I couldn't believe that this was happening. At this point, I ran out of kleenex so I had to use paper towels.
9.
Pushing The Limits (Pushing The Limits #1) by Katie McGarry
I probably could have put this one further up on the list but I had forgotten about some of the others on the list. Or maybe my brain helped me forget how much I cried over this one. Not sure. Anyway, this book was beautiful and both Noah's and Echo's back stories were heartbreaking and pretty much caused a flood of tears through a good chunk of the book.

10.
The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi
Now this one doesn't come out until April but I read it and loved it. I cried through a lot of it. The journey that Lexi goes through is inspiring that alone was enough to make me cry. Not to mention the crap that one of her friends' goes through.

-Honorable Mentions-
Dare You To (Pushing The Limits #3) by Katie McGarry
I love Beth and reading her story was heartbreaking. She is so fiercely loyal to her mom which I understand because I am the same way. Yet she knows that her mom is an adult and she insists on making bad choices. My heart ached for Beth.
The Sea Of Tranquility by Katja Millay
Beautiful writing and beautiful characters. I had managed not to cry until the very end and that's when the tears started falling. These characters were great characters and I found myself rooting for the couple but also liking Josh's best friend.
OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu
Yet another amazing debut. Corey Ann Haydu managed to be raw and honest about OCD and the various forms it takes while giving us characters to root for, to smile with and to laugh with. OCD Love Story made me cry mostly because I know what it's like to deal with OCD on a daily basis and Corey Ann Haydu portrayed it wonderfully. 

So there ya go. What books were on your TTT this week? Put your links in the comments and I'll do my best to stop by.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Pushing the Limits, too! That whole series is the shiz! I really have to read OCD Love Story I keep hearing how awesome that one is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Giselle, I loved PTL & DYT but Crash Into You.was not my favorite. I thought Rachel was a doormat & Isaiah bordered on controlling.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.