Monday, May 26, 2014

It's Armchair BEA Week! (My Introduction)

Hello everyone, this year I am thrilled to be participating in Armchair BEA Week. I'm sure you may be wondering what exactly is it. It's a way that those who cannot attend BEA in NYC can participate without leaving the comfort of your own home. Last year, I had just began blogging so I did not participate. This year, I'm ready to do this!

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from? 
Hello, my name is Alexia and I've been blogging for just over a year. I recently took some time off school to focus on my writing projects and as I already have 2 degrees I just may never return to school. I have a wonderful family, an amazing boyfriend (anyone else hate the term boyfriend?) and three wonderful pets. I got into blogging because I had a couple of bookish friends that did it so I decided to start it up myself. I blog from sunny Northern California.

Describe your blog in just one sentence. Then, list your social details -- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. -- so we can connect more online. 
My blog is super hard to describe so I'll just go with a book blog that encompasses many genres. Social details. Instagram name alexiareads & Twitter handle @alexiareads. 

What genre do you read the most? I love to read because ___________________ . 
I've been on a major YA Contemporary kick lately. I'd say that's the genre I read most. Reading transports me to a whole different world and I don't even have to leave my bedroom.

What was your favorite book read last year? What’s your favorite book so far this year? 
Ohhhh, this is tough. Last year my favorite book was The Program by Suzanne Young. Absolutely amazing book that I absolutely adored. Favorite book this year is a three way tie between Open Road Summer by Emery Lord, Pointe by Brandy Colbert & Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens.

 What does your favorite/ideal reading space look like? (Pinterest encouraged!) 
A big room filled with couches and a lot of pillows and bookshelves built into every wall. A mini-fridge too as I am usually eating something while I read.

What is your favorite blogging resource? 
In terms of getting access to more books, it's Edelweiss & NetGalley. Both places you can request Electronic Advanced Reader Copies. In terms of getting tips on book blogging, I go to the bloggers who've been around awhile.

Spread the love by naming your favorite blogs/bloggers (doesn’t necessarily have to be book blogs/bloggers).
Definitely Jamie of The Perpetual Page Turner, Meredith of Pandora's Books, Octavia of Read. Sleep. Repeat. & Kelly of Effortlessly Reading.

 Share your favorite book or reading related quote. 
Book quote was easy, so I went with that.
"After all this time?"
"Alway."
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 books would you bring? Why? What 3 non-book items would you bring? Why?
I'd bring Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows & Splintered & Unhinged by A.G.Howard. Non book items, I'd bring cans of iced tea, BBQ potato chips & dark chocolate.

 What book would you love to see as a movie?
The Program by Suzanne Young & The Summer I Wasn't Me by Jessica Verdi. Okay so that's two books. I cheated a bit.Ooopsies.

If you are participating in Armchair BEA this week, leave me the link to your post for today.

20 comments:

  1. I hate the term "boyfriend", but I can never seem to not use it O_O You and I are opposites - I generally shy away from contemporary! Although, I just read/reviewed #scandal by Sarah Ockler, and loved that one :D

    Check out my intro & lit post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously considering just referring to him as my significant other. I think I knew about our opposite opinions on Contemporary when we discussed a recent contemp. I need to read #scandal SOON as I've had it on my Kindle awhile.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi and happy 1st day of Armchair BEA to you. :) Yeah have to agree on NetGalley as a great resource though I do tend to go overboard and request a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely go overboard on NG requests Becky. You are definitely not the only one!

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Ah, I also loved The Program, I cannot wait to read The Treatment! I also need to read Splintered and Unhinged I have heard amazing things about it. Enjoy the week it is so much fun!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Treatment was a WONDERFUL end to the duology. Definitely read Splintered & Unhinged ASAP as they are both fantastic reads.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. Well at least after a certain age the term 'boyfriend' is just not right!! lol I use both Edelweiss and NG too.

    Nice to meet you and hopefully I'll see you around this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nearing my 30's and I definitely think the term boyfriend is SO juvenile.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. 'Boyfriend' somehow does seem very high-school, doesn't it? I have heard of Suzanne Young but haven't read any of her books, unfortunately! I forgot to add HP to my list of books to bring but then I'll just sneak them along somehow! I'm following your blog :) I hope you enjoy ABEA and that we'll run into each other again during this week!
    My BEA Intro
    Juli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP is absolutely always a YES. It's a CLASSIC! Suzanne Young is fabulous and so are her books.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to Armchair BEA! I actually just got engaged and while there are many other reasons I'm excited, obviously, not having to use the term boyfriend is definitely a perk. Once you've been dating long enough, it just doesn't seem like a serious enough term, I think. Dark chocolate sounds like a brilliant choice for being stranded on a desert island. It's one of my favorite foods :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to be engaged! I'm hoping that particular milestone comes at some point this year. Dark chocolate, is ALWAYS a yes. Absolutely delicious and awesome.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I listened to The Program and freaking loved it! And I love Jamie & Octavia too. They are so sweet and funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I bet the audiobook was AWESOME. The book had me in the fetal position, sobbing for HOURS. Jamie & Octavia are fabulous ladies. They are so sweet & kind.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Hi Alexia! I had to pay close attention to your favorite books listing, because there's a lot of stuff I'm not yet familiar with. They look pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all amazing books and you definitely need to make the time to read them. Open Road Summer in particular is BEAUTIFUL!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Hi, Alexia!
    I've never been a huge fan of the word "boyfriend" as well. I don't know why.
    I really need to read The Program. (I bought it a couple months ago) Hopefully I will get the chance to read it soon.
    I also really enjoyed Faking Normal.
    Love all the bloggers (and their blogs) that you listed!
    Hope you have a wonderful Armchair BEA week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boyfriend just seems so juvenile to me.The Program was an amazing read, and you definitely need to make time to read it (move it up on your TBR if necessary) I LOVED Faking Normal. The bloggers were all easy to name because I adore them and their blogs.

      Have an amazing Armchair BEA week!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Great introduction. I am a first time visitor who is looking forward to getting to know you and your blog throughout the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read The Program recently and LOVED it. I can see why you faved it. Would make a GREAT film!
    Nice to meet you. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.