Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review: The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass

Book Title: The Elite (The Selection #2)
Author: Kiera Cass
Published Date: April 23rd, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: YA/Dystopian/Romance
Series: Book 2 in The Selection trilogy (My review of The Selection is here)
Book Link: Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads:
The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

Disclaimer: This was a personal purchase.

Review:
If Maxon isn't the one at the very end I think America needs to be committed. I'm not even kidding. He was my favorite part of this entire book. He made it clear to America that she was the one and if she wanted him to, he'd stop everything immediately and propose to her. Yet America isn't as forthcoming with her feelings. I blame that on a little complication I'd like to call Aspen. How exactly is Aspen still even a possibility. I don't even know at this point. 

I sympathized with America because I've been in that triangle and it was so hard for me to choose between the familiar boy I had loved for so long and the new boy who promised me the world and had the means to give it to me. It's very hard because when I was with each boy and it was just the two of us, the answer seemed simple. So when America was able to steal time with Maxon and Aspen individually, she could see herself married to them so easily. I was able to connect with America because of this.

Aspen seemed more interested in making sure that Maxon didn't choose America, than making her see why she needed to pick him. Selfish if you ask me. He also seemed to care more about his job as the guard, than he did in the first book. I didn't warm up to him at all, which was a disappointment, as I was really hoping to like him much more in the second book.

I really enjoyed seeing more of how the world was run and the politics behind it. Thankfully, it wasn't too heavy on the politics. If it had been, I would have been bored as I really try to avoid reading books that are heavy on the politics.

The connection that Maxon builds with Kriss was not something I was expecting. I can tell he's interested in her, but I've watched enough of The Bachelor to know that she would be his default pick if America left. After finishing this book, I am positive that Maxon's father would not allow him to not pick anyone.

Which reminds me, holy crap Maxon. I had no idea that his father, King Clarkson was that awful to his only son. I was glad we got that peek into Maxon's life and it was something that came out of left field for me. I never saw it coming. Heartbreaking and so sad.

I'm thrilled that I have The One already so, by the time you read this review, I will have started (and maybe even finished The One) I am giving this book 4 stars just like I gave the first one and I cannot wait to see what awaits me in The One.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.