Friday, June 6, 2014

I Love YA

Why do some people think it's okay to judge others?  Why do people feel the need to tell others what they should or should not read? If you're confused right now, that's good because I too, am confused. Slate.com posted an article yesterday on how adults should be ashamed if they're reading Young Adult books. I have not read the article, but mostly because I like my blood pressure the way it is thank you. I know enough about the article to get me fuming.

Newsflash morons, I'm 28 years old and I LOVE YA.

Many of the YA books I've read in the past year have been beautifully written with characters that are wonderfully real. A year ago, I didn't know what YA was or anything else about it. But I never would have told anyone "they shouldn't read it"

If people want to read historical fiction, good. If people want to read erotica, good for them. Just read something. And DON'T judge others for what they want to read.

After Slate posted that article, all of my book buddies decided to promote YA instead. We wanted to be positive & uplifting instead of negative and judgmental. So, for the next several hours we talked YA up. We talked about our favorite YA books and why they were our favorites. I wanted to share my list of books that I talked up.

Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens
Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi
OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu
Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
Pointe by Brandy Colbert

All of these books are YA Contemporaries, and all of them are beautiful. They deal with tough things. They deal with friendship and love and heartbreak. Each of these books has touched me in some way. These are the books that reminded me most that life isn't perfect. Life isn't always rainbows and kittens. Life is messy. Life is complicated.

So I want everyone to tell me one book you loved. Let's spread the positivity.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I added a bunch of these to my Goodreads TBR list. Who cares what slate says, they sound good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaisa, they are all beautiful books and I hope you enjoy them when you get a chance to read them.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love how the YA community took the article, and used it has a positive thing. If more people did this then there would be less and less negativity. I, myself, am a young adult, but so many of the young adult novels I have read have taught me so much. No one will ever be able to take that away from me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.