Monday, April 20, 2015

Review: Revenge, Ice Cream and Other Things Best Served Cold (Broken Hearts, Fences and Other Things to Mend #2) by Katie Finn

Book Title: Revenge, Ice Cream and Other Things Best Served Cold
Author: Katie Finn
Published Date: May 5th, 2015
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series: Book Two in Broken Hearts, Fences and Other Things to Mend trilogy
Book Link: Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads:
The war rages on between Gemma and Hallie in the second installment of the Broken Hearts and Revenge series.

After the humiliating events on the 4th of July, Gemma's trying to handle the fact that Hallie knew who she was all along, and she was the one who stole Teddy from her. Gemma vows revenge, but things get more complicated than she planned. Ford, Gemma’s long-time crush, has arrived in the Hamptons cuter than ever. Josh is refusing to speak to her after she lied to him, and Teddy is playing champion to his beloved Marsh Warbler (in Gemma's backyard, no less).

Gemma and Hallie find themselves locked in an escalating revenge cycle. Just when Gemma thinks she has the upper hand, the biggest bombshell of all is dropped. And it’s one that threatens to change her life forever. This exciting sequel to Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things To Mend will leave you begging for the third installment.

Disclaimer: I borrowed this ARC from a fellow blogger.

Review:
I needed something fluffy and summery after finishing a book full of feels right before this. And fluffy and summery was exactly what I got. I was surprised how much I liked the first book in this trilogy, Broken Hearts, Fences and Other Things to Mend as it's not normally my thing. I go for the "dark YA Contemporaries" I don't usually go for the fluffy ones. Since I enjoyed the first book so much, I was eager to get my hands on the second book. 

Thanks to a fellow book blogger, I got my hands on it!

The second book of a series usually has the sophomore slump issue. It's hard to write or read a book that has no real beginning or ending. Thankfully, this book did not suffer from that problem. We finally got to meet Ford and Gwynneth. I had been very curious about those two since book one and we finally got to meet them and they both had significant parts in the book. 

I ship Ford & Gemma by the way. You may not remember how much I didn't like Josh & Gemma together. I mean Josh was a gentleman and he was kind and sweet, but I didn't feel a true romantic connection between him and Gemma. Now Gemma & Ford on the other hand, they have chemistry and it sizzles. Please make them happen, Finn. Pretty please?

The drama was definitely amped up in this one. From cheese to shoplifting to betrayals, it was all in there. There was romance, there was friendship and there was a lot of scheming. Now did I always agree with what Gemma was doing? Nope, sometimes I just wanted her to stop and think about what she was doing. Then shit would hit the fan again and I would be pulled right back into this crazy ride.

This book was even better than the first book. Maybe because I loved Gemma and Ford together. Maybe because the drama was ramped up a degree. I'm not sure, but I loved this book. It was exactly what I needed to read at this time. 5 stars to this drama filled, summery book with a cliffhanger that you won't see coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.